At Hoye’s Pharmacy, we value each and every one of our practitioners. You are the reason for our success and the backbone of our business.
Practicing medicine can be a challenge. We understand the rapidly changing world of medicine, reimbursements and therapies. Unlike mail order pharmacies and large chain operations, we believe in working one-on-one with each practitioner to fully understand their individual practice needs and concerns. Our goal is to work with you as an extension of your practice to help you provide superior patient care in a cost effective manner.
Learn more about our specialty areas:
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
- Weight Management
- Pain Management
- Veterinary Medicine
OCTOBER 20, 2010: Latest breaking news regarding hormone therapy – Media Reports on Hormone Replacement Therapy and Breast Cancer
A study published in today’s issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on the increased risk of breast cancer and HRT is drawing a great deal of attention from the lay press. To address your questions and concerns, please read the International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP) for a good explanation of the findings and what they mean:
Information About the Study
- The study was published in the 20 October 2010 issue of JAMA and it is entitled “Estrogen Plus Progestin and Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Postmenopausal Women.”
- The abstract for the article can be found here
- The study is part of continuing research from the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) research on estrogen plus progestin hormone replacement therapy
- The original WHI was terminated in 2002 when initial results found an increased risk of breast cancer in women taking HRT vs. placebo.
- Data was collected over 8 years after the study ended to further determine long term effects of HRT therapy. Of the 12,788 women followed during that period, the study published today showed:
- An increased risk of breast cancer (385 taking HRT vs. 293 taking placebo)
- Breast cancers were more commonly diagnosed in an advanced stage with more lymph node involvement
- Twice as many women who took HRT died within the follow-up period compared with those who took placebo (25 vs. 12 deaths – 2.6 deaths from breast cancer for every 10,000 women vs. 1.3 deaths from breast cancer for every 10,000 women, respectively)
- There are key limitations to the new study:
- The study only looked at long term use of HRT on breast cancer.
- The published study and an accompanying editorial specifically state that research did not examine the effects of short periods of HRT.
- The published study and an accompanying editorial specifically state that additional studies need to be done to see if lower doses or shorter durations of HRT can reduce menopausal symptoms without increasing cancer risk.
- The study tracked patients taking a very specific combination of conjugated equine estrogens and medroxyprogesterone. It did not track or review patients taking other types of estrogens, and progestins or progesterone.
Information to Use in Counseling Patients
- The estrogen used by the patients in the study was Premarin (conjugated equine estrogens 0.625mg). Not estriol, estradiol or other estrogens used by compounders. Premarin is not considered to be a “bio-identical” hormone.
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate 0.25mg was used, not progesterone as some media outlets have reported.
- Neither the estrogen nor the progestin taken by the patients in this study are bioidentical hormones. Bioidentical hormones were not studied.
- Although “twice as many died” sounds alarming, the actual statistics are 2.6 deaths for every 10,000 women vs. 1.3 deaths for every 10,000 who weren’t taking the drug combination.
- HRT has definitively been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer; however, women not taking HRT also get breast cancer. Other contributing factors include genetics and smoking.
- All women should conduct regular breast self-examinations, schedule and have mammograms done when recommended, and see a physician on a regular basis to assess and maintain breast health.
Feel free to contact our pharmacist and staff with any additional questions you may have.
Hormone therapy continues to be a highly requested therapy by women and men
who begin experiencing changes in their quality of life as they age.
- Are your patients asking you about BHRT?
- Is the new science emerging around BHRT overwhelming you while you try to keep up with your daily workload?
- Are patients demanding more and more of your time to discuss their clinical symptoms for bio-identical hormones, but you just don’t have the time to listen?
- Is BHRT a viable natural hormone replacement therapy and is it safe for your patients?
- What would it take to get trained on BHRT and use it in your practice without a lot of time and investment?
- Can you receive reimbursement for BHRT consultations?
- Do you understand the difference between progesterone and progestin?
Do these questions sound familiar?
Women and men both are becoming more informed and empowered with their healthcare. Physicians are being inundated with questions and inquiries from patients regarding Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT).
As information becomes more available to patients and consumers, hormone replacement therapy is becoming a hot topic. Mainstream televisions shows such as “The Oprah Winfrey Show” are devoting programs to it and celebrities, such as Suzanne Somers and Robin McGraw (wife of Dr. Phil) have written books on their experiences with menopause and BHRT. More and more web forums related to natural hormone therapy are available online, all leading to an increasing awareness of this emerging therapy for the treatment of hormone imbalance.
There is no doubt that hormone therapy is changing. The findings of the Women’s Health Initiative in 2002 discovered that traditional hormone therapy could increase the risk of breast cancer, blood clots, stroke and heart disease. Many women decided to discontinue their traditional hormone therapy and look for other options.
Whether or not you agree with the use of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, are you prepared to answer the questions and discuss the options with your patients?
Hoye’s Pharmacy can help reduce the long learning curve and help you more easily understand the basics of BHRT, help decide if BHRT is a therapy you want to include in your practice, and if so, help you learn proper dosing criteria and patient follow up.
We understand that integrating BHRT into a practice can be overwhelming due to the amount of hands-on time spent with patients. To make the transition easy, Hoye’s Pharmacy specializes in working one-on-one with practitioners, and their staff, to assist in providing individualized hormone replacement therapy for women and hormone replacement therapy for men.
Our staff is trained to consult with you in reviewing individual patient lab results, discussing individual patient cases and making recommendations regarding proper dosing. We can also provide in-office training, at your convenience, for you and your staff. We are here to serve you!
Hoye’s Pharmacy has been specializing in Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) for the past 20 years. Our experienced staff regularly attends CME meetings, reviews journal articles and patient studies to stay abreast of this emerging therapy.
If you decide to integrate Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) into your practice and wish to promote it, Hoye’s Pharmacy also offers PowerPoint presentations that can be personalized to your practice and used for patient presentations. Nervous about presenting? We can co-present with you!
Contact Us to schedule an appointment to learn more about our Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) programs.
With obesity at an all time high, many practitioners are looking for ways to address the issue of weight management while treating other health issues. Obesity contributes to a multitude of health conditions, such as high cholesterol, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes and depression. Helping your patients achieve and maintain ideal weight may also help reduce other healthcare conditions and improve their quality of life.
Hoye’s Pharmacy has become a leader in providing customized formulations for weight loss. We can customize capsule formulations of your preferred ingredients, whether they are herbal, vitamin or chemical to help with energy, appetite suppression or sugar cravings.
Thinking about starting a weight management program in your practice but not quite sure how to do it? Call Hoye’s Pharmacy today to talk with one of our Clinical Specialists specifically trained in weight loss. By offering effective weight loss programs to your patients, you are also providing them with a program that you can monitor along with their other health conditions, while improving their quality of life. Hoye’s Pharmacy can help you evaluate and determine whether or not implementing a weight loss program is right for your practice.
Hoye’s Pharmacy also has a professionally stocked over-the-counter area offering a wide selection of natural weight loss supplements and nutritional items that can assist in appetite suppression, fat burning and weight loss. Our protein powders and meal replacement shakes can contribute to an easy, healthy way to stay slim and trim. Feel free to have your patients visit us to select natural weight loss supplements appropriate for them or stop in yourself! We would love to meet you!
For many of your patients, pain management is a part of their daily lives. At Hoye’s Pharmacy, we specialize in compounding topical medications for pain to help your patients receive therapeutic relief. Because these gels and creams are formulated exactly to your patient’s specific needs, there is significant flexibility in strength, dosage and combination amounts.
In addition to the topical creams and gels, many other dosage forms such as capsules, suppositories, injections, sublingual lozenges and liquid suspensions are available.
Using the Triad of Care is essential in a pain management compounding practice; “One Patient − One Pharmacist − One Physician,” working together to discuss symptoms, types of pain, frequency, medication history and therapeutic goal. Our pharmacists are happy to work with you and your patients on a one-on-one basis to determine the appropriate ingredients and doses to use to achieve pain relief. No appointment necessary – simply call our pharmacist today. Our extensive database formulary can determine the right combination for each specific patient.
Contact Us today to discuss your individual patient needs.
Acne ? Rosacea ? Wrinkles ? Sun Damage
Many patients suffer from a variety of skincare conditions. Due to allergies or sensitivities to excipients in manufactured products, some patients are unable to use what is available in the marketplace. They often need natural skincare prescriptions not commonly found.
Hoye’s Pharmacy can formulate facial creams or skincare prescriptions to meet the needs of your individual patients. Helping with age spots, exfoliating dry skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines, to customizing formulas for skin irritations and healing, a variety of ingredients can be combined to meet your patient’s individual needs. Patients love having their physician prescribe a custom skincare medication specifically for them. Contact Us to speak with one of our Compounding Specialists regarding customized prescriptions for skincare.
At Hoye’s Pharmacy, we understand that pets aren’t just animals, they’re our furry, adopted children who have special needs, just like everyone else in the family. Veterinary Compounding can help you address your pet’s health issues.
A compounding pharmacy can customize a variety of pet care medications, including natural skincare, pain or natural prescriptions. Sometimes your pet can’t or won’t swallow a capsule or tablet, or maybe they have an allergic reaction to one of the fillers in the medication or their stomach cannot tolerate it. Other times, they just don’t like the flavor. Whatever the reason or need, Hoye’s Pharmacy can customize medications for pet and animal use. No animal is too large or small!
In addition to family pets, many zoos, aquariums and animal shelters have special needs for customizing medications. Contact Us today – We can help!