Did you know that more than one-third (or 78.6 million) of U.S. adults are obese? (Prevalence of Childhood and Adult Obesity in the United States, 2011-2012 Cynthia L. Ogden, PhD1; Margaret D. Carroll, MSPH1; Brian K. Kit, MD, MPH1,2; Katherine M. Flegal, PhD1)
For many people, the goal to lose weight is confusing, difficult and hard to achieve. Being overweight can create other health complications, such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke, depression and low self-esteem.
How to lose weight?
Setting a realistic goal to lose weight is essential. An ongoing reasonable weight loss, such as 1-2 pounds weekly can have much longer lasting effects and less stress on the body than fad, crash diets. Selecting a reasonable number of calories, monitoring your meal preparation and food intake and consistent exercise can help many people successfully lose weight. It is important to always consult with your medical practitioner before starting a weight loss program.
Can vitamins and supplements help you lose weight?
A practical vitamin regimen may assist in the goal of weight loss. Keeping the body rested, energized, free of toxins and keeping the immune system working properly can help patients feel more relaxed, focused and healthy. There are many vitamins and supplements available to assist patients with their weight loss. Our nutrition staff is trained to help you make the best selections for losing weight. Stop in or call us today to discuss how supplements may help you lose weight!
Should I consult with a Doctor about my weight loss goals?
It is always important to talk with a physician if you are trying to lose weight. Making sure that you are healthy enough to exercise, what foods are best to eat for any medical conditions you may have and setting realistic weight loss goals are things that a physician can guide you, motivate you and monitor your progress. Hoye’s Pharmacy works with many physicians that specialize in developing weight loss programs for their individual patients. Call us today for a list of physicians in your area or click here for a list of practitioners that may be able to work with you on achieving your weight loss goals!
Weight loss tips:
The following are some basic weight loss tips to help you get started. Remember, staying focused and aware of your caloric intake and exercise levels greatly influences your weight loss program!
Set realistic goals for healthy weight loss: 1-4 lbs. per week, depending on your current weight are the most realistic. The heavier you are, the more weight you will probably lose at the onset of your weight loss program.
Count your calories and lose weight! One pound of fat is 3500 calories. Your recommended daily intake (RDI) is the number of calories you can consume daily without gaining weight. To lose weight, you need to eat less than your RDI – in theory, for every 3500 calories you do not consume, your weight loss should be 1 pound. It is important to consume enough calories to maintain good health and energy, so any caloric reduction should be reasonable. Remember, any exercise also contributes to burning more calories and may enhance your weight loss goals.
Eat healthy foods to help you lose weight!
- Eat foods high in protein, fiber and flavor. Use whole grains instead of refined flours and white rice – they have more nutrition and fiber and keep you feeling more full longer.l
- Use low fat meats, such as skinless chicken and turkey breasts, wild caught fish and grass fed beef and bison.
- Eat many vegetables! Especially the dark green, leafy veggies – they can really help you lose weight while keeping you full and healthy. They are loaded with vitamins and fiber and can be cooked in a variety of ways, juiced easily or eaten raw in salads.
- Include legumes and nuts as good sources of protein. Limit the quantity you consume as they are higher in calories and the goal is to lose weight. However, legumes and nuts do provide good vitamins and proteins and can be a lower caloric addition in place of a meat.
- Limit your use of oils and butters, but do use healthy unsaturated fats, such as olive oil, grape seed oil and coconut oil in moderation for flavoring, as needed.
- Fruits – always good to help you lose weight. Remember, fruits either juiced with the fiber left in or in raw form are probably best but they can be high in sugar.
- Eliminate junk foods and replace with fruits, raw veggies and low calorie snacks like popcorn.
- Drink plenty of water each day – the daily recommendation is at least 8 cups of water per day. Water can help you lose weight because it keeps you feeling full and helps eliminate toxins from the body.
- Eat in smaller amounts and wait before eating that second helping. Give your food time to digest and see how full you actually are before eating more food. Eating your meals fast means you may consume more calories quickly, leading to overeating and possible indigestion.
- Treat yourself to a favorite food occasionally that is high in calories. Everyone has their favorite junk food or treat – treat yourself on occasion – you’ll enjoy it more and still lose weight if you are sticking to your other guidelines.