Protein Powder for Weight Loss The holidays have come and gone and for most of us, we are definitely feeling the overindulgence of rich food, drink and too little rest! It is time to get back to our routines and fortunately there are a few relatively painless and convenient ways to shed those extra holiday pounds. Protein […]
- PCAB Accredited
- Human and Veterinary Compounding
- Serving You and Your Family for Over 25 Years
Protein Powder for Weight Loss
The holidays have come and gone and for most of us, we are definitely feeling the overindulgence of rich food, drink and too little rest! It is time to get back to our routines and fortunately there are a few relatively painless and convenient ways to shed those extra holiday pounds.
Protein Powder Benefits
Protein powders can be an excellent and easy remedy for losing unwanted pounds. Did you know the following benefits of a high quality powder?
- Using a protein powder is a convenient and versatile way to replace simple carbohydrates in your diet.
- Protein takes longer to digest than sugar and can help keep you from feeling hungry longer than a sugary snack.
- Having a protein powder shake for breakfast provides your body with an initial surge of energy for the day and helps jumpstart metabolism. Additionally, you’re less likely to fall victim to the midday hunger that occurs when you skip breakfast, often leading to unhealthy snacking.
Protein Powder Ingredients
In general, protein powders can be made from egg, whey from milk, soy and rice. Since both eggs and whey are restricted from the vegan diet, protein powders for vegans have to use protein from other sources. Sources include soy, hemp, brown rice and yellow pea. Protein powder comes in a variety of flavors and is used to make smoothies or shakes using water or milk. It is also used in protein bars and can be used in cooking but the most common way to consume protein powder is in a shake, plus it is easy to prepare, fast and convenient. If you are using protein powder for weight loss, look for a brand with concentrated protein in each serving and fewer carbohydrates and calories.
Whey protein is a more popular protein and is derived from a component of cow’s milk. It is extremely low in lactose and considered completely safe for those who are lactose intolerant. It is very easy to digest and suitable for vegetarians or anyone needing to get a higher intake of protein without consuming a high amount of fat or calories
Ways to use Protein Powder for Weight Loss
Your body burns more calories to digest protein than it does other types of food. Increasing your amount of protein will help you use more calories and increase your weight loss. One serving of protein powder daily can help you burn more calories. When you are losing weight, you want to lose fat, not muscle. Muscle tissue is important because it keeps you strong and burns more calories than other types of tissues in your body. To preserve your muscle mass while dieting, you need plenty of protein in your diet.
When you supply your body with constant nourishment, you are, in effect, turning on your own internal furnace. Most people make the mistake of eating only two big meals during the day – That’s a huge mistake.
Follow these ideas for easy weight loss:
- To really kick start your metabolism, you need to feed your body frequently. Try to get between 5-6 well balanced meals each day. Shoot for 3-4 small meals with regular food (small portions) and 1-2 protein drinks or meal replacements.
- Consume a protein powder shake before eating a healthy lunch. In order to lose 1 lb., you need to create a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories through exercise and diet. An easy way to “trick” your body into thinking it doesn’t need as many calories to be satisfied is to fill your stomach with a protein powder shake. Wait about 15 minutes before eating and you’ll find that you are less hungry and eat fewer calories. This is a good way to lose weight without feeling deprived.
- Substitute a protein powder shake for your afternoon snack. It’s often tempting to get a snack from the vending machine, but keeping a package or container of protein powder and the appropriate beverage to mix it with at your desk can provide a healthier option. Having a high protein drink instead of a high carbohydrate snack can also provide you with enough energy to get through the rest of your day. Use a protein powder that mixes easily with water, milk and can be shaken in a mason jar or protein shaker cup. Good powders do not require a blender.
- Use a protein powder shake as a pre-dinner beverage and wait 15 minutes before eating. This will help you eat less of your dinner, which should consist of a lean protein source, high fiber salad, green vegetable and limited whole grains. For dessert, have a piece of fresh fruit and if you find yourself hungry just before bed, have half of a protein powder shake to help fill your stomach so you aren’t prone to midnight snacking. Remember that protein powders come in a variety of flavors, so it is possible to get the taste of chocolate, Pina Colada or even Orange Dreamsicle to help curb favorite cravings. Just make sure to read the labels and use powders that are flavored with Stevia or other natural ingredients. They should be free of artificial flavors, food colorings and aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.
Make your commitment to this easy program and you’ll be well on your way to a new slimmer you!
Best Protein Powders
We recommend the Best Protein Powders are
- FitFood Lite Vegan Protein by Xymogen
- Jay Robb Whey Protein
Both are great as far as taste.
Mention this article and you’ll save 10% off your purchase of these brands until the end of January.
Authored by Debra Pearson and Kathy Hoye
Hoye’s Pharmacy is a Compounding Pharmacy located in Tampa Florida offering customized medication for Patients and Practitioners to help with Hormone Replacement Therapy, Pain Management and Nutritional Supplements.